Monday, June 23, 2014

Weasel Medicine Day 3


I've been practicing Weasel medicine over the past few days, observing the actions of others, in particular at the nursing home where there was an incident with my Mom yesterday.  Instead of confronting the 2 people involved directly,  which is my usual method, I filed a grievance report with the social worker today (once I had calmed down). This will be more effective in solving the problems as the complaints against the 2 employees will be in writing, on record, and addressed by their superiors instead of me confronting them directly and their superiors not knowing about the problem.

  It's a good nursing home on the whole, but some of the people who work there don't perform their jobs well at all and it seems every few months there is a problem.  I don't like to be the cause of people getting in trouble but on the other hand if my Mom is being affected in a negative way, then in trouble they will get.  I have no problem speaking up about anything and it's not my way to complain about people behind their backs.  But I doubt this way changes how they do things.  Now if they don't change, and there are too many complaint reports on record about them,  they will lose their jobs. 

So Weasel's lesson for me was how to address certain types of problem more effectively without having to directly involve myself in them and get upset about it.

  I did give the aid a chance to make things right and the cleaning person got two chances so they could have corrected the problem, but they didn't.

  Oh, and the problem was my Mom had diarrhea from a med she got, the aid changed her but left her with feces on both her hands, under her nails and on her wrist cast!  When I pointed that out to the aid, she only half cleaned my Mom's hands with a wipe and didn't bother with her nails or the cast at all.  There was also a mess in the bathroom and I called for the cleaning guy twice and he still left a mess.  I took me almost 40 minutes to get Mom's hands, nails and cast washed thoroughly and sparkling clean and I was ready to strangle the aid - not because I ended up doing it, but because she was going to leave my Mom that way.

Thank you Weasel for the lessons! 

No comments:

Post a Comment