Monday, June 23, 2014

Lizard Medicine


Welcome to my teacher today, Lizard!

Lizards are found everywhere throughout the world except for Antartica and there are countless species, so today, in keeping with "becoming" my teacher, and in memory of my 2 childhood pets, I will be a chameleon. However, the beautiful Austrailian lizard artwork by my fellow Etsy For Animals team mate is just too good to miss showing off!

Because of allergies, I was permitted only cold blooded companions when I was a kid, so there were turtles, fish, and the chameleons.  One day, the chameleons escaped from their tank and I was left with only a sad feeling and a bag of mealy worms in the refrigerator.  But some weeks later, I spotted one of them on the metal venetian blinds in my room and as we regarded each other, I felt my friend was happier being free and was not inclined to go back into the tank.  So I did not try to catch him and bid him safe travels as he slipped away.

Lizard medicine teaches us about dreaming the future and how to bring our dreams to life.  Most dreams are communications from our subconscious and superconscious selves.  Our subconscious mind stores everything that happens to us during our waking time and then points out how we feel about these things when we sleep,  through our dreams.  Then our wise all knowing superconscious mind tells us what to do about these things.

  Occasionally dreams are straightforward, but usually our mind communicates with us through symbols which are metaphores.  And since symbols have different meanings to each individual, it is mostly up to us to figure out what our dreams mean.

For example, during a dream workshop I shared a dream I had the prior night.  In that dream, I was naked and a spider emerged from my vagina.  More curious than alarmed, I watched as more spiders poured out of me,  of all different sizes,  until I had given birth to hundreds of them.

Everyone thought the dream was creepy until I explained that to me, spiders symbolize creativity and the dream told me I was open to new things (I didn't panic when the first spider appeared), and that I was capable of giving birth to many ideas, both large and small.  At this time I was in a period of change and learning, so to me the dream was positive and supportive.

This morning's dream was of a plain white 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper which had come to me with an unknown shipment from a seller I know on Etsy.  This seller's shop contains the name of one of my totem animals. On the paper were abbreviations in letter form with numbers after them.  At the top of the paper was written the words "get up" with a check mark after signifying completion.  My thought in the dream was the seller had accidently included one of her daily lists with my shipment, and that it must be a chore for them to get up in the morning if they had noted that and checked it off.  And I thought, "well, good for you".

Of course, the dream could be about that seller, but most likely it is about me.  It could be a straightforward message regarding my night owl tendencies which cause me to oversleep, or it could be about something else.  So I will think about that today.

Of note, there are actually different types of dreaming, but Lizard says we are focusing on the sleeping kind for now.  

10/3/12 After lesson notes:

 I ought to know better than to try to anticipate exactly what my Teachers are up to, but I keep trying!   A little help was needed for someone and not of a nature to be discussed here.  Much gratitude to Lizard for a good lesson! 



No comments:

Post a Comment