Monday, June 23, 2014

Otter Medicine




Welcome to Otter, who is my teacher today!

Otters are found around coastal areas in shallow waters, can live to be 25 years of age, and can grow up to five 5 long, weighing 70 lbs!  Their favorite foods are shell fish (me too!) and they are known to use tools to crack them open.  Otters are social animals and love to play.  They also spend a lot of time grooming their fur as clean fur is needed to keep them warm.  They actually have the finest fur of any mammal with up to 1 million hairs per square inch!

Otters lessons are about balanced female energy which includes sharing with and supporting others.  This medicine applies to both women and men as we all have a male and female side.   Otter teaches us that it's also important to be receptive and open to receiving from others along with giving to ourselves.  Assuming people are good unless they prove otherwise, going with the flow, and balancing work with play are other aspects of Otter's medicine.

According to the Medicine Wheel used in my area of the world, Otter is my birth totem and I've always felt a bond with this joyful creature.  I'm especially looking forward to what she has to tell me today. 

As a child, I was a tomboy and although I had girlfriends, I really preferred playing with the boys. I'm aware that I tend to overdo male energy as far as being overly competitive, cynical about people, defensive, and hard rather than gentle.  Also,  I'm good at giving, but not as good at receiving and tend to forget to play.  Oh, and I despise anything frilly, girley, or pink.  Hmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment