Monday, June 23, 2014

Husky Stew (Made For Huskies, Not FROM Huskies!)



Richie feeds the dogs for me on weekend mornings during the summer, so I've been making them a big bowl of beef stew every Friday as a topper for their dry food to ensure even the pickiest eaters gobble everything down.

I buy a big pot roast, put it in a large pot, add water until it almost reaches the top of the pot, and also add two slices of all beef bologna for flavor.  Then I cover it and simmer it on low for about 4 hours until the meat falls apart.  The last hour I add carrots.

When done, I dispose of the bologna,  remove the beef and cut it up, then add the carrots and set that aside.  I make a gravy by boiling the leftover liquid, then gradually adding a flour paste (flour mixed with cold water and beaten with a fork until it's smooth).  Then I add a little bit of garlic powder and some parsley and gently boil it until it thickens.  I strain the gravy through a colander into another pot then add it to the meat and carrots.



I use organic carrots, flour, garlic and parsley - the beef and beef bologna are just the regular stuff from the supermarket. The dogs get human grade meat with every meal and often our leftovers are added too if they're safe, but everyone without exception loves this, probably because it's flavored with bologna :>)

No comments:

Post a Comment