Monday, June 23, 2014

Owl Medicine - Final Lesson



Since my last post, Owl has been my teacher and it was one long lesson for sure.

Owls are highly intelligent, solitary, noctural predators who swallow their food whole. They especially like mice and small birds.  Their feathers are designed to enable them to fly silently and they make a wide variety of sounds aside from hoots.  An interesting fact about owls is that their eyes are fixed in their sockets so in order to see sideways, they must turn their heads. After awakening, owls spend at least two hours grooming themselves with their talons, and then the talons are cleaned with their beak.  Their biggest threat is loss of habitat due to human encroachment.

Owl medicine involves the truth, which can sometimes be painful, and during the time my teacher has been with me I have learned one of our six-year old dogs, Shama, has aggressive lymphoma, that chiropractic adjustments are not always to a dog's benefit, and that 2 weeks of extreme stress including 4 days without power, is my limit before I snap. 

However, on the positive side, I learned I do not snap, give up, or stop seeking creative solutions for more than a day before bouncing back. Nor do I crawl into bed and hide, stop taking care of my responsibilities, or run away. Of course there were other things I learned; many things, but this was a character test and except for a short lapse, I feel I did very well. Not perfect, but very well indeed. 

When my time with Owl was finished, Salmon appeared and told me that I have completed the circle of lessons assigned to me for this particular 5-year period and The Animals Game is officially over.  Now what is left is to apply and practice what I've learned. 


Much gratitude to Owl and all the other animal spirits for the wisdom and the lessons that were always given with love, patience, and kindness. 

Namaste my Teachers, namaste ~





No comments:

Post a Comment