Monday, June 23, 2014

Deer Medicine



Welcome to my teacher today who is Deer!  

Deer tells us about gentleness; both with others, and ourselves.  Yes, it's important to be gentle with ourselves too as we are often our own strongest critics!

We have whitetail deer as neighbors and they can grow to be seven feet tall.  They are found living in woodland areas across the US and in Central and South America and are herbivores. One thing I didn't know about deer is they are excellent swimmers. 

 Deer eat just about every type of plant imaginable incuding poison ivy!  Their usual favorite in my garden is English ivy. And this year they sampled the leaves on the tomato plants.  They must have liked them because they ate all the ones in the circular garden in front of the house, then went after the potted tomatoes beside one of the dog yards.  Sometimes in harsh winters with deep snow, they will actually come up on our front porch out of desperation, to eat the ivy growing on the wall there, after they've stripped everything else within reach. They do it very tentatively because there are a number of stairs, plus there's usually a very upset looking dog face glaring out the window at them. 

Once, I got to know one of the deer here as she used to visit every day.  So often did she come, I communicated with her telepathically one morning to learn her name, which she said was Iris.  I could feel her calm and peaceful energy so much so that I wanted to stay connected with her forever so I could always feel that way too.  She told me,  "it is the unlovable who need love the most". Here are some photos of Iris that I took that day.  I wonder what Deer wants to tell me this time?





End of day notes:  I spent some time thinking of the unlovable people I have known personally.  Appearance means nothing to me.  And I'm not bothered by many types of behavior that others can't stand. Honestly, I can usually find some good in just about anyone.

  But one thing I have zero tolerance for is cruelty directed to those who are helpless, especially animals, children, and the elderly. Today, after reading a couple of CARE petitions posted on my Facebook wall, I thought about what Iris told me.  One was about a young man who killed his dog in an especially horrible way,  and another was about a dog who was raped and killed. The latter reminded me of a sheep who was raped in our local zoo by one of the employees to get back at the girl he was dating there who broke up with him.  She loved the animals so he thought he'd hurt her by doing that. 

Could I find a way to love the young man who killed his dog, or the men who raped the dog and the sheep?  No, I could not and if I had my way, they would be recalled immediately to Spirit Land in the exact same way they sent those animals there. 

Surprisingly, when I asked Deer about this, I was reminded of a quote, "All that's needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing".  But whatever we end up choosing to do, it should be done with love and compassion.

I cannot say for certain I would always be able to do that. But I am thankful to Deer for the lessons today. 

Post lesson note:  Thank you Deer for teaching me more about how to be gentle with those I dislike, and to myself also, and I will try to practice what I have learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment