Monday, June 23, 2014

Mountain Lion/Cougar Medicine




Welcome to my teacher today - Mountain Lion!

Mountain lions, also called cougars, pumas, catamounts and panthers are shy creatures and live solitary lives, only coming together during mating season.  The females usually have 4 babies but only one or two survive to stay with their mothers for around 18 months.  Mountain lions eat primarily deer, but will also eat smaller animals including domestic ones, and will even consume insects.  They are very athletic and can leap 15 feet in the air and forward distances of up to 40 feet!

Mountain Lion's lessons have to do with leadership and the power associated with being a leader.  Walking one's talk and leading by example are what this big cat teaches us to do, along with enabling those we lead to develop and use their own talents and perhaps go on to be leaders themselves.  People in positions of authority can benefit from studying Mountain Lion medicine, including parents and teachers.  And of course, leading one's self down the right path is of utmost importance. 

Yup, that's important all right.  And speaking of leading oneself, just this morning I was thinking how undisciplined I am with me sometimes.  I allow myself to do the same things that I don't want myself to do, over and over, on a daily basis.  Each morning I wake up and vow to do better, but I either don't hit the mark at all,  or eventually lapse in my resolves.

  Mountain Lion is my totem in the above direction so I know I have it in me to be disciplined, and although I've successfully led countless projects through completion, I don't always complete my own goals. Two of the many goals I haven't met are eating earlier (instead of 9:00!), and getting to bed earlier (instead of 2:00am!) so I can get up earlier (and not feel like a zombie!).  This has been going on for years and I get so frustrated with myself!  Why can't I make myself behave?!?

Mountain Lion suggests I work on one thing at a time and first on the list is eating earlier, say by 7:00 which is reasonable as my hubby doesn't usually get home until 6:30 and likes to unwind a bit by reading the paper and doing a crossword puzzle. Mountain Lion says she is going to "remind" me of my goal and I'm to place a picture of her beside the computer screen, since the computer is one of the major culprits in distracting me.  I'm to stop what I'm doing at 4:00 and feed the dogs, which will then leave me a couple of hours to have us fed by 7:00.  Here's hoping having that picture of my teacher will help - it might, her long pointy fangs are showing and she looks like she means business!

End of day notes:  A power transformer exploded this morning at 5:00am and we lost power for a couple of hours but it was back on by 7:00 - yay! But I didn't realize until I looked in the living room this morning that one of the housedogs had two accidents, one being on the granite flooring in front of the window which which a real bear to clean because it's natural granite with lots of texture and crevices.  Then when I went into the kennel, Sky had had an accident too.  I guess the noise really scared them.  Then when I was getting ready to feed the dogs breakfast, I dropped the glass container their beef was in on the floor and it shattered everywhere creating another mess to clean up and loosing 2 meals of dog meat so I had to cook some more.  These little detours took a lot of time and put me way behind schedule on my regular chores.

Can you guess what I'm leading up to?  That's right, dinner was not at 7:00 but to give myself some credit for trying, we ate at 7:45 and it was a very nice meal indeed.  I had thought to cheat and make sandwiches, but my DSH likes to skip breakfast and lunch and still, it was an improvement over 9:00.  After we finished and relaxed for a bit, I got a few small projects done so that was good.

Yeh, that sounds like a bunch of excuses but you can't leave dog poo sitting around in your living and dining rooms for cleaning up later, or broken glass all over the kennel floor.  And things like that seem to happen on a fairly regular basis, so there you go.  The best laid plans, blah, blah, blah and if something can go wrong it will.

Tomorrow's another day and I'll try again.  I already foresee potential trouble - on top of the regular stuff, I have to get ready for a show on Saturday and the farmer's market on Sunday plus I have a special project to do. Who know what the dogs will decide to throw into the mix, or who knows what.  But, I'm going to bed now, at 11:30 instead of 2:00 so I can get an early start.  And I have dinner planned and made so all that'll need doing is to cook the pasta and heat up the sauce, so there!  Ha, Ha, HA!

Monday morning note:  I worked with Mountain Lion through the weekend with mixed results and will have to count this lesson as a work in progress!









No comments:

Post a Comment