Monday, June 23, 2014

Shiloh Mystery


I was just thinking the other day that of our five almost 12 year old dogs, Shiloh is the only one who hasn't had any health issues.  However, she's always been sensitive and easily stressed and lately she doesn't like sleeping in her kennel at night.

She bangs on the fencing and pushes at it with her paws, jumps, and cries.  Until last night she always settles down after a bit.  But not this time!

I tried Rescue Remedy, Valerian root, Reiki, and communicating with her.  She seemed so beside herself, I wasn't getting much through the communication except she was thirsty (water given), "something" was bothering her but as to what, "I don't know", and she just kept saying "let me out!". 

Since her sister, K.C. is in the house and they don't get along, bringing her in the house isn't a good option.  I tried putting her in the small kennel across from the sink in the kennel and she pushed the side out and got her head stuck in the space between the kennel fencing and the wall.  So finally I crated her and that calmed her down immediately and she went to sleep - at 2:30am....

We keep some of the dogs' traveling crates in the kennel since I take most of them out of the van at the end of the running season to have room for the show stuff.  The dogs love their crates and consider them a safe place to be.

Richie gets up early so I left him a note asking him to let her out for a bathroom break, then to put her in her regular kennel, but he reported this morning she insisted on going into the crate again.  I just let everyone out a while ago and she's back in her kennel now acting fine.

So.....we have a mystery.  It could be the recent weeks of thunderstorms and firecrackers have put her in high stress mode.  It could be something she's eating, although that's not likely.  Insects or something else nesting under the kennel flooring?  I haven't seen anything unusual.  No matter what it is, we need to find an alternative sleeping arrangement for Shiloh because I don't want her cramped up in a crate for hours every night. That wouldn't be good for her joints and muscles, especially being she's an older dog.

I'll try communicating with her again later, and also ask her brothers who are kenneled next to her if they know what's going on.  Last night, both Hamm and Sky were stressing too but it may have been because of Shiloh as they settled down when she did.

Really hope to get to the bottom of this today, so in lieu of an animal lesson, that's what I'll be doing.  I sure hope I can find out what's bothering her and we can agree on someplace else for her to sleep.  Maybe Sundance's kennel, which is empty at night since he's in the house.  Or maybe in my office which connects the kennel to the house.

End of day notes:  I had a much better communication with Shiloh this afternoon when she wasn't upset.  She told me she doesn't like her kennel at night because she hears things outside the window and they bother her.  Although I've explained to the dogs that fireworks outside can't harm them, it seems the 2 weeks of fireworks before and after July 4 has taken a toll on her nerves and she definitely wants to sleep somewhere else.

We agreed to try Sundance's kennel which is three kennels down from hers and next to Danjim.  Sundance is inside most of the time and only eats in there.  If she's not happy in his kennel, she can sleep in the crate but I'll leave the door open so she can come out and stretch and maybe she'll find another cozy spot she likes where I can put a bed.

It's 10:39 and so far so good with her being in Sundance's kennel.  Danjim seems happy to have someone next to him.  But I'm not counting it as a success until after we let the dogs out for last pee and she's back in for a bit.  Hopefully though, this'll work out and I can get to bed at a reasonable hour and be up early for yard sales tomorrow.

Keeping my paws crossed... 

Sunday night note:  Shiloh has been happy sleeping in the kennel next to Danjim. Of course, being female she could change her mind at any time in the future, but so far so good!


No comments:

Post a Comment