Monday, June 23, 2014

Fox Medicine





My teacher last week was Fox, and although I didn't have time to post, she certainly has been keeping me busy!

There are 12 species of fox, and believe it or not, they belong to the canine family.   Their favorite foods are rabbits, beetles, worms, berries and fruit. Foxes are found worldwide and are solitary and noctural so to see a fox during the day means something is amiss or they are desperate for food.

  I can attest to their love of apples as I used to often toss an apple out on my front lawn for the animals,  when apples were less expensive than they are now :>)  Sometimes one of the squirrels would grab it, and bring it up in the tree out front which was pretty amazing to watch considering the size of the apples compared to the size of a squirrel's mouth.  And the crows here like apples too.

  But for a period of a few years, a fox made it a habit to visit our front lawn at dusk, and she most often got the apple.  As a matter of fact, as time went on, she would wait under the big pine tree for me to throw it out and I got a lot of pleasure watching her happy expression as she picked it up and gracefully trotted away with her tail streaming out behind her.

This went on for a long time until one day I ran out of apples and decided to offer a large ripe tomato instead.  After all, tomatoes are red and considered a fruit, right?

Wrong!  The next morning, when I went out front to feed the birds, I saw the tomato still sitting on the lawn where I had put it, but now topped with a perfectly placed fox stool!  I laughed so hard tears came from my eyes because the message was so clear,  and after that I made sure to not offend my friend by running out of apples!

Fox is known as the great magician and protector of the family unit.  She teaches us to use camouflage to become invisible in order to observe others without them knowing they are being watched or slip in and out of places unseen.  This can be practiced by imagining yourself to be the same colors as your surroundings and seeing how people react.  I have done so myself many times and it does indeed work!  Foxes are also known to draw attention away from their young, who are called kits, by engaging in seemingly silly antics, drawing threats away from their den, or allowing their children to escape unseen.

Foxes are also very quiet, and there is protection in silence, which was my lesson last week.  Not letting ourselves been seen or heard can shield us from potentially dangerous situations.  Doing this can also allow us to win a prize that is coveted by someone else.

Many thanks and much gratitude to Fox for the lessons!





No comments:

Post a Comment